Merry Christmas to everyone, and a happy new year!!!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chapter 4

And so the story continues!

                                                   CHAPTER 4
Please read prologue and chapters 1-3 before reading this chapter.
When River awoke she could only make out the outlines of the things around her. She slowly got up and arched her back, stretching her muscles as if she hadn’t woken in months. She felt around her and realized that her moss bedding had been torn up all over her corner. Must have had a bad dream she thought.
Looking around her she realized that a thick fog had formed over the night. It was gold like the rain and very wet. Padding through it made her pelt feel as if she had fallen in a stream. It seemed to move too, as if it had a current on its own.
She slowly padded outside and remembered the events that had happened during the night. Hedge! She ran over to the side of Hummingbird’s den and looked around, only to find that Hedge had disappeared.
Turning around confusingly, River looked around the camp for Hedge. He was nowhere in sight. She spotted her brother and padded over to him. Thistle noticed her and nodded a greeting.
“Have you seen Hedge?” River asked
“He’s with Bronzewing.” He answered. “Nobody is supposed to come in though.”
“I’ll make a way in.” River said angrily. This was her friend, and she could not be kept from him while he was suffering.
She turned and quickly padded to Bronzewing’s den. When she reached it she saw no warriors at the entrance and walked in quietly. Bronzewing turned his old head and put a paw on her shoulder.
“River, you shouldn’t be here.” He croaked out. “Hedge needs peace and quiet.”
“Grandfather I will not leave. Hedge is my closest friend and I need to see him.” She replied angrily. Bronzewing was her father’s father and was the oldest member of the pack. One with his skill could heal Hedge quickly, though ever since her father had been killed he had been slow and depressed.
“River, this is important to me. I couldn’t help your father and I must make up for it with helping everyone for the rest of my life.”He answered.
“This is important for me too!” River yelled. Seeing the replied look on his face she quieted her tone down. “Please let me stay grandfather.” She whispered to him.
Bronzewing groaned and nodded his approval. “Just don’t get in the way.” He turned and pulled back the huge curtain that had been strung together by tons of animal pelts. River looked in to see Hedge lying on the moss floor.
“Hedge!” She said happily. Running over to him she dug her muzzle into his fur. “I thought you were dead.” She said.
Hedge opened his eyes and smiled. “I was, but…something happened. I saw black and then it turned to gold. Then I woke up and saw the camp around me. I got off the rock and ran but then froze when everyone came around me. I couldn’t move or speak. Finally I just fell back and woke up in here. Bronzewing healed me and told me to take a rest. And now I’m here.”
River smiled as tears came to her eyes. “I’m just glad you’re okay Hedge. I missed you.” She said.
“I missed you too-“Hedge started to say but was cut off by a yowl from outside.
“INVADERS!”

No comments:

Post a Comment